Friday, December 30, 2016

you deserve it


When I first read this recipe, I had two thoughts:

1) Not being allowed runny yolks is the single biggest bummer about pregnancy.
2) This serves 4 people, and has two entire cups of grated cheese in it? My heavens.

Luckily, #1 was easily addressed, and the leftover polenta can continually be addressed because polenta takes kindly to any protein, prepared in any way. For tonight's dinner, I seared some beautiful sea scallops from our local fish market for a slightly more exciting twist on shrimp + grits. I can also see this being a lovely breakfast with scrambled eggs, a slightly less exciting version of the original recipe, but still a good hearty breakfast, as I learned when I ordered it at Ledlow a couple mornings ago.

Re: #2, I just gave in. I started with a half cup of each kind of cheese, but after tasting, I agreed that the full amount was necessary. The good thing is that I think this easily serves 6-8 people, not just the 4 indicated in the original recipe, so I didn't feel too bad about it. You deserve the extra richness, especially at this time of year.

And the richness is nicely balanced by the full mouthful of broccoli you get with each bite. You almost, almost feel like you're doing a good thing.

Broccoli Polenta
slightly adapted from Shutterbean
serves 6-8

1 c. cornmeal
12 oz. broccoli florets
3 T. butter
3/4 c. milk
1 c. grated Pecorino
1 c. grated Parmesan

1. Boil 4 c. water in a medium saucepan. Add the broccoli florets in the boiling water, reduce heat to low and cook covered with the lid for 4 minutes, or until broccoli is cooked and just tender. Scoop out the broccoli, and let it rest on a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, chop the broccoli into small pieces and set aside.

2. Return the broccoli water to a boil, and stir in the cornmeal in a slow steady stream. Reduce the heat to medium and cook polenta for 15 minutes, stirring constantly so the polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom. Stir in the butter and milk and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Stir in the chopped broccoli and both the grated Pecorino and Parmesan. Serve immediately.

No comments: