Saturday, December 31, 2016

more than enough


A few Whole30s ago, I mistakenly made a reservation at Jon + Vinny's for lunch. What on earth was I going to eat? I think I finally figured that I was going to have to cheat just a bit, and order the Red Wine-Marinated Ribeye. Yes, alcohol is out on Whole30, and apparently, as documented in this recipe, there was sugar in the marinade as well, but it was basically the best I could do.

The small bit of guilt I had for cheating dissipated with every bite. This steak tasted like Christmas. I guess the more accurate description for this slightly sweet, warmly spiced beef would be that it's slightly Moroccan-influenced, but I think you know what I mean either way. I had never had anything like it before, and I was quite pleased.

Since we have so much going on right now, we stayed in for New Year's Eve, so I thought this would be the perfect special occasion to bring it back. I loved being able to share it with Matty for the first time. He loved it. I recalled it being much more spiced at the restaurant (and that may have been due to the fact that I fell asleep on the couch watching some terrible college football bowl game and only managed to marinate it for 6 hours starting this morning instead of the 24 suggested by the recipe), but Matty liked it as-is, and thought any longer would have been too overwhelming, so it all worked out.

And yes, for you folks quick of eye, that is indeed the Broccoli Polenta from just last night underneath that hunk of meat. I was originally going to make some pommes aligot, but then I figured a) texturally, it would be pretty similar to the polenta, and b) I have so much leftover polenta that I couldn't quite justify making the potatoes.

Red Wine-Marinated Ribeye
as served at Jon + Vinny's via Tasting Table
serves 2

1 1/2 c. red wine
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. grated orange zest
8 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
one 16-oz. bone-in ribeye steak
2 T. olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

1. In a small saucepan, bring the red wine to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and add the sugar, orange zest, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Cook until the liquid has reduced to 1 c., about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely, then strain.

2. In a plastic bag, combine the steak with the cooled marinade and seal. Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours, and a maximum of 24 hours.

3. The next day, remove the steak from the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels. In a medium cast-iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the steak liberally with salt and pepper on both sides and add to the pan. Cook, flipping once, until golden brown and an internal temperature of 125° has been reached, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 2 minutes, then slice and serve.

No comments: