Friday, December 16, 2016

let it rain


You guys! It rained ALL night last night. And it sort of rained this morning. So I'm making soup.

Let's be honest. I get regular cravings for pho in the summer, so it doesn't take much to convince me that soup, much less a noodle soup, is a good idea. The weather is merely a convenient way of convincing the people I cook for that it's also a good idea.

My only complaint - the udon I got was fairly thin, and I had my heart set on a more substantial noodle. I feel like it would have really stood up to the spicy, funky kimchi broth, and next time, I might even throw the noodles in with the broth to pick up a little more of the flavor. There might be some rain in the forecast next week!

Kimchi Egg Drop Udon Soup
slightly adapted from Nyssa's Kitchen
serves 2, generously

8 oz. udon noodles
1 T. coconut oil
1 c. kimchi, roughly chopped
4 c. chicken broth
2 eggs, beaten
10 medium leaves rainbow chard, sliced into 1/2-inch ribbons
lime wedges, cilantro leaves, and diced green onion for garnish
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, and cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and divide between two bowls.

2. Meanwhile, combine the coconut oil, kimchi, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.

3. Season the beaten eggs with a little salt and pepper. Using a fork, slowly drizzle the eggs into barely simmering broth, and stir with a fork as you go so the egg doesn't all stick together. Once all the egg has been added to the soup, add the rainbow chard, and cook until just barely wilted.

4. Serve the soup over the noodles, and garnish with a squeeze of lime, cilantro and diced green onion. Serve immediately.


No comments: