These were fantastic. A nice solid protein with a refreshing salad that feels slightly decadent because of the creamy dressing.
A couple thoughts on changing things up for next time:
- I don't think the rye is completely necessary. There's not enough used that you would really tell the difference except for the very occasional bite onto a caraway seed. Use whatever you have on hand.
- Be very careful to not overcook the cakes. I pan-seared a tiny patty to taste for seasoning, and it was absolutely divine. I left the regular-sized cakes in the oven for a few more minutes than I should have, and they were bordering on mealy. Oven-baking these things is so convenient, especially for making the accompanying slaw, but I think next time, I would just pan-fry until golden brown on both sides and call it a day.
Rye and Salmon Cakes
adapted from Tasting Table
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the apple, celery, fennel and pistachios.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider and mayo. Taste and adjust the proportions and seasonings as necessary.
3. Gently toss the salad with the dressing, just to coat. Good at room temperature, or chill while you prepare your main if you prefer.