Thursday, August 23, 2012

more for me


I thought we were going to have company tonight, so I went to town on marinating a pile of pork chops, but it turns out I overplanned. No matter - these pork chops were amazing, and I'm glad to have leftovers.

The original recipe involved skewers, and frankly, I couldn't be bothered, so I bought the thinnest pork chops I could find so I wouldn't have to marinate it for much longer than suggested. I wouldn't say that any of the flavors jumped out too much - you could smell the fish sauce while cooking, but it faded into a pleasant saltiness, and the coconut milk and sugar into a faint sweetness. I love the broiler for the ease of clean-up, but I think next time, I'll pan-fry them to get a good-looking sear on both sides. These turned out a little pale - thank goodness for Instagram filters.

I served the chops with some leftover fried rice - the only thing my wasted brain was able to conjure up Monday night when I got home from work, which I gone to directly from the airport, after 4 hours of sleep at the Crowne Plaza O'Hare, after we missed our connection in ORD from a 3-hour mechanical delay in Rochester.

That ordeal has completely screwed up my week, and my back, so I've been comforting myself with heavier food than I'd normally like. I've also been super lazy about the gym (what triathlon?), so starting next week, you're going to see things start getting crazy healthy. Maybe.


Thai Pork Chops
adapted from Leite's Culinaria
Serves 4

2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 T. fish sauce
1/2 c. coconut milk
1 T. vegetable oil
1 T. powdered sugar
2 lbs. pork chops, about 1/2"-3/4" thick

1. Combine all the ingredients in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and whisk to combine. Add the pork and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.

2. Preheat the broiler. Set the pork chops on a large foil-lined baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes on each side, or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a chop comes to 165 degrees. Serve immediately.

No comments: