Friday, June 29, 2012

parting is such sweet sorrow



I'm not here to get political about my food, so I will just leave you with this - I love foie gras, and I will be sad that I can no longer buy it in California after Sunday.

A parting gift:


Pasta with Foie Gras + Mushrooms
adapted from D'Artagnan.com
Serves 2, very well

8 oz. penne
2 T. butter
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 lb. mixed mushrooms, sliced (I used oyster and white button)
1 14.5-oz. can of beef broth
1 c. chopped broccoli (optional, but it's nice to have something cut all that richness)
4 oz. foie gras, cut into 4-6 pieces

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the penne and cook to al dente. Drain and set aside.

2. In a large, deep skillet, melt 2 T. butter. Add the onions and mushrooms and saute for 7-10 minutes, until the onions are translucent, and the liquid the mushrooms release have evaporated. Add the beef broth and simmer until reduced by half. Toss in the cooked pasta and chopped broccoli. Lower the heat to a bare simmer.

3. Heat a small dry skillet until it's too hot to hold your hand over the pan. Add the foie gras pieces and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side.

4. Plate the pasta and top with the foie gras. Serve immediately with

No comments: