Thursday, April 12, 2012

lovely bunch of coconuts


I love macaroons. Even more than macarons. There's just something about that sweet, satisfying chewiness that I can't get enough of. And even as I was typing that from the comfort of my coffee table office, I leaned over to look through the doorway to the kitchen to see if there were any left on my plate of leftovers.

This was Easter brunch dessert - one of our guests was observing Passover, so I kept up with the dietary restrictions in as much as I was able to learn via Google.

After everyone had left Sunday, and we were cleaning up, Matty said, "Could I comment on the macaroons? I think they would be much better with coconut that's shredded a little smaller." I explained to him that that's the reason this recipe was so cool - that it departed from the original by using larger coconut flakes. However, that being, said, I couldn't disagree with him.

The larger flakes gave the macaroons extra chew, making it almost too much work to eat. But the bigger bombshell was after we had discussed and agreed his point, he casually mentioned that a family friend of his may have a secret recipe for macaroons that is more or less perfect. Apparently, macaroons are a big deal/obsession in Florida/The Keys. I mean, all this time, I could have been snooping for and trying to duplicate that recipe! And then on Tuesday, our Passover friend Julie sent me a photo of chocolate lavender macaroons from Interim Cafe which of course is going to consume me until we figure out that recipe as well. Better stock up on the angel flake!

Alice Medrich's Macaroons
from Food52
Makes 12 large macaroons

4 large egg whites
3 1/2 c. unsweetened dried flaked coconut
3/4 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla

1. Line a cookie sheet with Silpat.

2. Combine all of the ingredients in a large heatproof mixing bowl. Set the bowl directly in a wide skillet of barely simmering water. Stir the mixture with a spatula, scraping the bottom to prevent burning, until the mixture is very hot to the touch and the egg whites have thickened slightly and turned from translucent to opaque, 5 to 7 minutes. Set the batter aside for 30 minutes.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using about 2 T. of batter, make 12 macaroons.Bake for about 5 minutes, just until the coconut tips begin to color. Lower the temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cookies are a beautiful cream and gold with deeper brown edges. (Optional: add a little piece of chocolate in the middle of each macaroon just as they come out of the oven).

No comments: