Friday, April 1, 2011

happy to give


Hi, friends. If you can, would you come down and see me and buy a couple dozen little Mochi Cupcakes for Japan tomorrow?

Bake Sale for Japan
TOMORROW, April 2, 10:00a-2:00p
Forage
3823 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026
cash and checks ONLY

There will be green tea, chocolate and strawberry mochi cupcakes from your Professional Bakist, packaged in half-dozens and dozens, single- and multi-flavor packs. All sales are by donation, so give what you can.

If the Eastside is a little too far to trek, check out the Bake Sale For Japan website for additional locations around LA and around the country. My mochi and I won't be offended - as long as you're giving somewhere.


For these adorable mini cupcakes, I revisited the recipe I used for my Dad's birthday. I was going to bake them straight up in mini cupcake pans, but I'm making about 12 dozen, and didn't think filling and refilling the two mini pans I have would be very efficient. The cakes also bake up to a lovely, but boring golden brown exterior, and I really wanted to highlight the brilliant pastels of the green tea and fruit variations I would be making. So, after spending literally an hour staring at the baking section of Sur La Table, I decided it would be best to bake the batter in an 18x12 inch pan (which only barely fit in my oven) and then stamp out the "cupcakes" with a 1 1/2-inch fluted biscuit cutter. That way, the pretty coloring can be revealed in all its glory. I'm so shallow.

I have a dinner tonight, so thought it would be best to a) test out of one of the variations (the chocolate one) and b) use this opportunity to test how long I would need to bake a pan this size (45 minutes), wait for it to cool (about 30 minutes) and then stamp out the approximately 4 dozen "cupcakes" (a really long time). But that's okay. It's all for a good cause, and now I know how to pace myself for the 3 cakes in the morning.

I do hope you can come out and support. And insider tip, Pazzo Gelato, conveniently located right next door, opens at 11a. I'm sure you could make yourself a fine breakfast with a cup of gelato and something delicious from the bake sale. See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Lindsey@Lindselicious said...

I bought your mochi cupcakes! They were so cute and colorful that I had to after I dropped off my own baked goods. And as a bonus I discovered your blog! :) Oh and yes they were delish the BF especially enjoyed them.

Ngoc said...

Thanks, Lindsey! So glad you liked them! So excited we were able to help raise +$15k. :)