Saturday, March 5, 2011

time for tea


I should have a cooling rack permanently mounted in my car. Every time I bring a baked good to my parents' house, the day always gets away from me, and I have to figure out a system to transport the piping hot, straight-out-of-the-oven Pyrex or cake pan in my back seat without sending it careening onto the floor. Today's culprits were a car accident on the 2 Freeway, and me walking slowly, gape-mouthed down the aisles of a new-found wonder, A Grocery Warehouse while picking up ingredients, and the poor Pyrex pan was full of Matcha Mochi Cake balanced on a cooling rack and wedged on the floor of the backseat between the seat and my winter coat.

But, it was Dad's birthday, and the one thing we still have in common after all these years is an insatiable sweet tooth. I wasn't going to show up to dinner empty-handed, or heaven forbid, with a store-bought dessert.

This cake was completely worth the balancing act. Mom loved the crust and suggested a thinner layer so she could get more of it - I think the cupcake version will be for her. Dad and I split a second slice. It was just sweet enough and had a lovely floral aroma without being overbearing. I knew the green tea flavor would go over well - we end every meal with a big mug of the stuff. Mochi ice cream is huge in our family. Dad and I can knock back boxes at a time. In fact, I thought about getting some ice cream to go with it, but am glad I didn't - after the massive seafood feast Mom made for dinner, a little (okay, big) square of this cake was just the perfect ending.

Matcha Mochi Cake
from New Asian Cuisine
Makes one 9x13 pan

3 c. mochiki (aka sweet rice flour)
2 1/2 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
4 t. matcha powder
1/4 t. salt
1 14-oz can coconut milk
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
5 large eggs
1 stick of butter, melted and slightly cooled

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, matcha powder and salt.

3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, then add coconut milk, evaporated milk and melted butter.

4. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until smooth and uniform in texture.

5. Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 90 minutes, until top is golden brown and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.

6. Allow cake to cool for about 30 minutes on a rack, and then carefully flip it out and cut into 24 squares, or the size of your choice. Can store mochi cake for three days, covered.

1 comment:

the actor's diet said...

oooh a cupcake version!!!