Sunday, August 16, 2009

summer girls

When I was in college, I was a champion procrastinator, but not for the reasons you might thing (okay, for some of the reasons you might think). The main reason is that I work best under pressure. So I would study, write papers, drink, etc. at a leisurely pace, get good nights' sleep and then wake up super early the day of a due date or exam and cram. I work best under pressure. I felt I was more efficient that way - I was under the wire, and there was no chance to make any excuses for taking a break. It was go-time.

I've carried that over to my catering experiences. Sure, I'll make lists and do a couple things ahead of time, but my main MO has been to get up early the day of the event and stay in the kitchen for 8 hours and go, go, go!

For the GirlsDrawinGirls show last night at Meltdown Comics, I created a menu of summery foods to fit the "Girls of Summer" theme, full of seasonal favorites - watermelon, peaches, strawberries. My plan of attack was to bake the 200 mini Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes and make the meatballs for sliders Friday night, but the bulk of the work was to be done Saturday before the show.



These Caramelized Onion Crustless Quiches were meant to be crusted. It was just that after having the oven on for only an hour into baking 200 Slider Buns (if you're counting, it's that recipe x10), my kitchen had already gotten too hot for the pastry dough to cooperate. After consulting various Internet resources, I came up with the following.

Mini Caramelized Onion Crustless Quiche
makes 36 mini quiches

3 eggs
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. whole milk
3 onions, diced and caramelized
grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk.

Add a pinch of caramelized onions into each cavity of a mini muffin pan. Fill each with one tablespoon of the egg mixture. Top each with a pinch of grated Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes. They'll be gorgeous and puffy straight out of the oven, but will deflate upon cooling.

They would have been so much cuter with a crust, but they were still delightfully munchable. Onward.


My favorite items were the Caprese Variations - above are the watermelon and queso blanco bites, cut into cute little diamonds with a cutter from a vintage canape-cutter set I got at the Rose Bowl Flea Market. Below are my absolute favorites - peach/mint/mozzarella bites, modeled after my new favorite salad.



To continue the summer theme, Melody came up with the idea of doing a mini barbecue staple - burgers. I made very simple meatballs with just ground turkey, diced onions and chopped parsley, stuffed them into a roll, topped them with a tiny dill pickle, skewered the whole thing, and called them turkey meatball sliders. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to take a photo of the cute little devils, but I know there were actual photographers with legit cameras who took much better photos than I could ever dream of taking, and I'm sure I'll find them on Facebook and will link to them soon. Or I might get hungry in a couple hours and go ahead and photograph leftovers. :)

All in all, a very successful event. Since there wasn't an easy prep area, I ended up skewering additional sliders and frosting cupcakes right at the food table, which made for a very interactive feeding fest. Plus, I'm a sucker for a compliment, and it was fun to get the instant feedback of "YUM."

The ladies' artwork will be up at Meltdown until August 30th - lots of really fun and beautiful pieces, so check it out if you get a chance!

Meltdown Comics
7522 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90046

1 comment:

Annearky said...

Nom nom nom...beautiful and delicious! :) We're so happy you could help us out for the show. Thanks again!