Monday, April 28, 2008

behold the pain become the pearl


I've only recently been introduced to the great oyster, and I've still never had them raw. The way things are going with cooked oysters, though, especially with tonight's massively successful Hangtown Fry, I may never bother going the raw route.

I love food with a story, and the Hangtown Fry has a great one. And it was so great to finally have someone to tell stories to! Matty got back into town today, and this was his homecoming dinner.

I chose not to use bacon to save the calories, and I didn't really miss it. I mean, obviously, it would have made it better, but this was so good anyway, it didn't matter. I'd say there were about 6 pre-shucked oysters in the jar I bought from Whole Foods, and to those I added 4 eggs. Instead of slicing up shiitakes, I decided to serve the whole thing in portobello mushrooms that I had baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. All of it was placed on a bed of kale sauteed in olive oil and garlic.

Perfection. So perfect that I'm submitting this to Johanna's Waiter, There's Something In My...Breakfast Favorites. It's definitely a new favorite, and certainly falls under the categories of "luxurious" and "indulgent," no matter what time you choose to have breakfast - even if you choose to have breakfast at 7:00p like we did. :)

1 comment:

thepassionatecook said...

oysters for breakfast - how indulging! i can safely say I have never had warm oysters, let alone combined with scrambled eggs... thanks for your contribution to WTSIM... brakfast!